Welcome to the London Architecture Diary, your essential guide to architecture exhibitions and events taking place across the city, brought to you by New London Architecture.
The construction industry is under pressure and scrutiny in relation to fire safety and design compliance. Compliance is paramount, and this starts with good design.
The session will provide a clear understanding of the basic fire safety principles, review how to choose the right fire safety strategy, discuss the way passive and active fire safety measures can be best used and show how to achieve compliance effectively. Using real world examples and case studies, this seminar will provide you with confidence on when to challenge and seek further information.
The seminar will include details of prescriptive requirements & guidance (Approved Document B vs BS9991)
- Fire safety strategy principles: risk management, systems approach and layers of protection
- Fire safety design principles: passive and active protection
- External wall construction
- Residential sprinkler systems
- Means of warning and evacuation strategies, including inclusive means
- Materials, workmanship, quality control and site inspection
- Future regulatory oversight, competence regime and the Hackitt review
Speaker: Colin Blatchford Brown, Blatchford Brown LimitedColin is a chartered building control surveyor with over thirty years’ experience across both public and private sectors of the profession. With a wide range of project involvement, he is currently working on the Hinkley Point C power station scheme as well as the redevelopment of Wimbledon Stadium and numerous other large-scale projects. Colin is a fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and a regular presenter on building regulations and fire safety.