Welcome to the London Architecture Diary, your essential guide to architecture exhibitions and events taking place across the city, brought to you by New London Architecture.


17 October 18:30 - 20:30
The Gallery
75 Cowcross Street

The London Society is pleased to announce that this year’s Annual Banister Fletcher lecture will be given by the Loyd Grossman CBE Chairman of The Royal Parks. He is also a patron of the Association for Heritage Interpretation and Heritage Open Days, President of the National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS) and Chairman of the Heritage Alliance. He is the first chairman to lead a new charity which will manage and fundraise for London’s Royal Parks. Loyd says that London’s parks are "the finest in the world." The new body manages the 5,000 acre estate will fundraise. Of the £36.6m annual cost of managing the parks, about 65 per cent is self-generated through events, sponsorship, donations, catering, grants, lottery funding, licences, rental income from lodges, filming and photography. The rest of the Parks’ income (35 per cent) comes from a Department of Culture Media and Sport grant.

The new charitable public corporation will be increasingly self-sustaining, and so will be able to "manage the parks even more efficiently, with better services provided at a lower cost while maintaining excellent visitor satisfaction"....Sir Banister  Fletcher was one of the founder members of The London Society. He was a practising architect and architectural historian, who with his father wrote the first edition of A History of Architecture on the Comparative Methodwhich became a standard reference for architects and students. He left a bequest that has allowed The London Society hold a lecture in his name each year since his death in 1953.